Mission Not So Impossible

Yesterday I was feeling a little better about the cat. Slowly getting out of my slump. I had walked the entire neighborhood several times, posted notes everywhere, and did about all I could think of. But we kept looking. Just kept telling myself he was out having a ball being a wild man. So we decided to get out of the house and go to the auto show in Denver last night. I am in the hunt for a new car, but not for a year at least, so thought we would check them out. We don’t go to Denver much so we thought we’d try a restaurant we have been hearing good reviews on. The wait was said to be 25 minutes. After 45 and a snotty hostess who just kept saying not yet, we left starving on the hunt for something quick. We ended up stopping at this really small joint on a side street called ‘mica’. It said pizza and pasta and looked quick. Ended up being awesome italian food. We both got huge focasia sandwiches, and probably the best caesar salad and bruschetta we have had in years. Cool, score one for us. So we then headed to the car show. I have been wanting to look at the LandRover LR3 and Cadillac SRX. The Landrover was pretty cool with some features we have been trying to find in other cars with no luck. The Cadillac was quickly thrown out, too much like a station wagon. We also saw the new Infinity QX which was pretty sweet as well. So between the LandRover and Infinity at this point. Go super luxury (Infinity) or luxury with all the off road gadgets which I would probably never use (LandRover)?
We then left and headed to the Cheesecake Factory for some desert. We really wanted a horse ride back for Syd but couldn’t find any. They were all outside Cheesecake, wrong end, oh well. Next headed home. We got back about 11:00, late night for the kid but she did really well with it. She went straight to bed. B and I then started on showers/bath when the phone started ringing. Who is calling at almost midnight? The phone wasn’t upstairs so we let it ring. Rang again, but couldn’t hear message. B ran downstairs as it rang for the third time…something is going on here definitely. I heard B yell, “Your kidding me, I’ll be right there” It was our neighbor, she had a black cat trapped in her garage. B ran out and I was quick to follow after pulling some sweats on. He was in the garage and I stood outside in our yard because I didn’t want to ring the bell, their kids were asleep. Then all of a sudden I see a black cat running full speed away from Anda’s house and bolting down the circle. I start yelling his name and go chasing after him. Our street lights arent too bright so I lost him in the shadows and had no idea if he kept down the street or darted off towards a house. B grabbed our flashlights and we took off seperately yelling for him and looking everywhere. But, after an hour we could find nothing and think he was just so scared to come out again. Ok, this was really depressing. We were so close but he was just too scared to come home. I felt like I really screwed that one up big time and was getting depressed again. But, at least he was sticking around the house, if that was even him. We sat on the porch for another 30 minutes and then headed inside.
We decided to leave the garage door open a bit since he was looking for food in Anda’s. We had been leaving food out all week but he had never eaten any. We decided to also leave tuna spread out all over the yard, porch and deck. Maybe he would smell that and come to eat. We also left all the gates open just in case he was too freaked to figure out how to squeeze through them. We went to bed with the blinds all open so we could get up periodically and check the food.
I woke up around 3:30 for a pee break and saw that a couple of the tuna plates were eaten as well as the cat food on the back deck. I searched again for him but could see nothing. So I went back to bed. My mind was racing on what we should do and I was just lying there awake petting another cat. Then I started to hear faint meows. I had been hearing meows all week and they never turned out to be anything. So I laid there for another minute and really listened to see if they were real. Then another really loud meow. Ok, I knew that was real. I jumped up and looked out on the deck from our bedroom window. Just then a black cat had walked up the stairs and was on the deck eating the tuna. I yelled for B to get up and we ran downstairs. B went out the front door and I waited inside at the back door. We wanted to get him from two angles just in case he got spooked again. The cat then got scared and ran down the stairs before B could get there. Here’s my chance, I had to go out and risk him running so that I could see where he was headed. Right when I opened the door, B was also coming around to the back and the cat bolted back up the stairs freaking out. I yelled, “I’ve got him up here” B yelled, “No, I’ve got him right here.” B kept yelling for me to get down there and I kept yelling “no he’s up here one foot in front of my face, help me corner him.” Brandon then said, “he’s running away..are you sure that is Cosmo up there.” It sure looked like him. So Brandon ran up and the cat stopped freaking out and let me pick him right up. It was definitely Cosmo. He started purring and was declawed, our little guy made it back, hooray! Apparently, he had made a new friend in a black cat that looked just like him. So, he was out having a ball with his buds, minus all the rain storms we have had.
Funny thing is I have seen that other cat on our back deck several times before. He would look in at our cats and ours would meow back at him. I even almost let him in a couple of months ago thinking it was Cosmo, until I saw Cosmo standing right behind me. They could be twins, but the other one has a small white dot on his paw. Anyway, we think it was that other cat in Anda’s garage because he bolted so fast. I think we were just extremely lucky that I woke up to pee when I did. Today, Cosmo is going to the vet to get checked out before we let him around the other cats again. Then all will be back to normal with one very happy Mommy.